Laura Story and Working at Scans

 In an email exchange, Laura wrote:

Korea.....my guess is More Hair!  Dad used to tell us the story of how he lost his hair... it went something like this...

He was in Korea for the war, and a bomb (bullet, rocket, missile) was shot at him and flew just over his head and shaved all the hair off one side, then it bounced off the tent behind him and came back the other way and shaved all the hair off the other side.

So I picked a slide with dad in uniform and went to see what I could do with it. The original was a color 35mm slide and I think the shot was taken with dad's old viewfinder Nikon camera he got while on R&R in Japan.

I've dialed the resolution down a bit to support a web display with decent load times.

However, as you can see from the detail below, fairly good results can be obtained. 

As can be seen, the photo was taken after the shell went by...

To achieve the results, I scanned the slide using my Pacific Images CS3600 scanner I got a few years back from Costco. It includes some digital noise reduction, though it is unclear to me exactly how much that helps things. Then I used the "MyHeritage Photo Enhancer" followed by some fairly light Photoshop. Voila!