References and Citations and Software, Oh My!

Having gotten into this genealogy stuff somewhat, I've found that it isn't enough to simply label clearly one's finds as I noted in the previous post. You ALSO have to incorporate them into your research so that you are directed to them. That involves references and citations. All those references and citations get incorporated into your genealogy software.

I WAS using "Family Tree Maker." However, that software is becoming rather dated and might eventually stop working entirely. Amongst other things, it is very limited in how it incorporates things like pictures and other documents into the family view. What's worse is that it seems to choke on Swedish characters that are common in my wife's family history. It also lacks any real practical help function. As a result, I've started using "Roots Magic" which fixes all those problems, but it has problems of its own. One of these is it lacks some of the "tree" views that abound in Family Tree Maker.

Stay tuned.

In OTHER News
I've done some experimentation with page layout at the North Beach Genealogical Society site. It uses blogger as its engine just as this one does. However, you can see that the layout results are quited different.